|Panorama of Dvigrad
Only a few kilometers west of Kanfanara (see
map) the remains of the mediaeval town of Dvigrad are
located, which still dominates in the Lim Draga.
During Illyrian times, two colonies existed which later,
in early mediaeval times, became two towns, Parentino and
Moncastello. The former quickly became extinct, whereas the
latter, in the ownership of the Aquileian patriarch, developed
further under the name of Duecastelli. Lateron, like the
most part of the Istrian coast, Dvigrad fell under Venetian
|St. Sophia church
In the mid 17th century malaria and the plague were rifing
in Istria, which didn't spare the citizens of Dvigrad either.
Thus, in 1631 most of the 700 hundred inhabitants left the
town, and the remaining three families left in 1714, when
the church of St.Sophia was abandoned as well. The relics
and the pulpit from the 14th century were transferred into
the church of St. Silvester in Kanfanara, where the inhabitants
of Dvigrad had moved as well.
The town is very well maintained, since it hadn't been destroyed
in the wars that were ravaging through Istria, but rather
because it was abandoned by the inhabitants of the town.
The town gates still exist, as well as two circles of the
town walls, some of the defense towers are maintained, as
well as the most part of the 200 houses. The St. Sophia Church
was an early Christian church with three naves which dominated
the town and which was built on solid rock. Unfortunately,
because the church wasn't being maintained, it decayed in
the 19th century.
Until recently, the town has been abandoned to snakes,
the macchia, the north-eastern wind and to the ravages of
time, but lately it is undergoing restauration, so that Dvigrad
has become a must for everybody who finds oneself closeby.
It is only a 20 minute car ride away from Rovinj.
Closeby, the village Mrgani is located, and rumour has
it that the famous pirate Captain Morgan settled there and
buried his loot from many robberies somewhere nearby. Whether
this is really true, is hard to tell, but today there are
still people who sometimes, while walking in this area, are
still searching for the treasure.